Two detained BNRA battalion commanders escape; hospital later hit by airstrike*
Two battalion commanders from the Burma National Revolutionary Army (BNRA), also known as Bo Nagar’s force, reportedly escaped from PDF custody before the military carried out an airstrike on the hospital where they had received treatment.
The two commanders, identified as Ta Ko Taw Thu Ba Yar Zar and Daung Nyo, allegedly drugged or poisoned a person guarding them while they were receiving medical treatment and escaped. At around 4 p.m. on August 16, the military reportedly bombed Kan Pan Hospital and a school in Pinlebu Township.
The extent of casualties and damage remained unclear, and PDF groups had not issued an official statement about the escape at the time of the report. Local residents speculated that information may have been provided to the military after the two commanders escaped, although the report provides no confirmation of that allegation.
The two had been detained after PDF forces moved against BNRA camps under orders from the NUG Ministry of Defense earlier this year following complaints of unlawful activities.
More than 300 aerial attacks recorded in Magway during July
Magway Region experienced 20 clashes between resistance forces and the military during July, while the military carried out more than 300 aerial attacks, according to the Tamar Institute of Development.
The organization recorded 317 aerial attacks during the month, including 295 airstrikes, 13 drone attacks and nine attacks involving paramotors and gyrocopters. Nearly 560 civilian homes and other buildings were reportedly destroyed by aerial attacks, artillery fire and arson, while approximately 50,800 civilians from six townships were displaced.
Myaing Township was reported to have suffered the heaviest air attacks, with 176 incidents recorded. Twenty-one civilians were killed and 20 injured there, while approximately 411 buildings, including civilian homes and monasteries, were damaged or destroyed.
The institute noted that Magway had recorded 444 airstrikes during the first six months of 2026, compared with 295 in July alone, indicating a sharp escalation in aerial operations during the month.
Four civilians killed in air attacks in Saw and Kani
Four civilians, including displaced people, were reportedly killed and two others injured in military aerial and drone attacks in Saw Township, Magway Region, and Kani Township, Sagaing Region.
On August 15, a drone attack in Saw Township reportedly killed three civilians sheltering in forest areas near Thee Kone village and wounded another person.
In Kani Township, military aircraft reportedly attacked civilian areas near Nwar Chan Kone and Nat La Po Taung villages on August 14. A 20-year-old man was killed and a five-year-old child was injured, according to local sources.
Four days of fighting reported in Mindon Township
Four days of clashes took place between the Burma Defense Force (USBA) and three military columns in Mindon Township, Magway Region, according to the resistance group.
The fighting reportedly occurred along the Thayet–Mindon and Pathein–Monywa roads between August 12 and 15. USBA claimed that seven military personnel were killed and four seriously wounded.
The resistance group reported no casualties among its own members and said the military columns eventually withdrew toward Mindon and Kyauktai positions.
Military personnel defect to resistance forces
Three soldiers from Infantry Battalion 269, based in Tedim Township, Chin State, reportedly defected to PDF Zoland after leaving their position near the Valvum junction between Tedim and Kennedy Mountain.
Separately, a soldier identified as Htet Win Soe from Infantry Battalion 256 in Yesagyo Township defected to the local People’s Defense Organization on August 12 with an MA-3 rifle. The group said he was safely received and awarded 2.5 million kyat.
According to figures cited from People’s Goal, the combined number of defectors and prisoners of war recorded between January 2025 and the first week of August 2026 had reached 3,795.
KIA temporarily closes roads amid heavy fighting in Momeik
The Kachin Independence Army (KIA) announced temporary closures of the Mantong–Momeik and Momeik–Myitsone roads because of intense fighting between junta forces and joint KIA-KPDF forces in northern Shan State.
According to KIA Battalion 34, fighting has continued near Nyaung Ni village since August 11. The roads were closed from August 15 because of concerns for the safety of residents and travelers.
People who urgently need to travel through the affected areas were advised to contact the relevant KIA authorities and obtain permission beforehand. Local military sources also reported continued air attacks in the area.
Sagaing and Mandalay agree to join SCEF
The Sagaing Federal Unit and Mandalay Region have agreed to become members of the Steering Council for the Emergence of a Federal Democratic Union (SCEF).
SCEF representatives held separate discussions with officials from Sagaing and Mandalay on August 13 and 14, after which both agreed to join the council.
SCEF was established on March 30 by major revolutionary organizations including the KNU, KIO, NUG, CRPH, KNPP and CNF. Sagaing and Mandalay are described in the report as the first new members to join since its establishment.
Political prisoners allegedly forced to pay money at Thayawady Prison
Prison officials at Thayawady Prison in Bago Region are allegedly demanding 300,000 kyat each from political prisoners recently transferred there, according to the Political Prisoners Network–Myanmar (PPNM).
The payments are reportedly being demanded in exchange for lighter work and more tolerable conditions inside the prison. Those unable to pay are allegedly assigned difficult jobs, including sewage disposal and full-day agricultural labor.
PPNM said similar practices have been reported at other prisons, where prisoners may be charged as much as 500,000 kyat. The organization condemned the alleged practice as an abuse of authority that violates prisoners’ fundamental rights and human dignity.
