Hello, beginning now we will present m.CDM’s domestic news updates.
Today’s headlines include:
- PDFs raid BNRA camps in Pale Township; 10 BNRA members killed; NUG Deputy Home Affairs Minister says action was taken due to oppression and crimes against civilians.
- Salween Bridge in Hpasawng Township blown up amid intense fighting.
- Draft Union Human Rights Commission Law released; NUG Ministry of Human Rights invites public suggestions for its approval.
- Human trafficking gang arrested in Muse for raping women and attempting to sell them to China.
We will also cover other related news.
⸻ - PDFs Raid BNRA Camps in Pale Township; 10 BNRA Members Killed
m.CDM, February 17
Some camps of the Burma National Revolutionary Army (BNRA), led by Bo Nagar and based in Pale Township, Sagaing Region, were raided and attacked by PDF battalions under Yinmabin District, which operates under the National Unity Government (NUG). Intense clashes reportedly occurred between the two sides.
Regarding the fighting that began on the morning of February 17, NUG Deputy Minister of Home Affairs and Immigration U Kyaw Ni stated that action was taken because there had been numerous complaints from the grassroots accusing Bo Nagar’s group of oppressing civilians and committing crimes.
He further explained that the BNRA had arrested and beaten NUG civil servants, raided tax checkpoints, and recently shot and killed a revolutionary fighter. Therefore, assistance was requested from the Ministry of Defense (MOD) to take action.
The fighting reportedly began at around 7:30 a.m., with NUG forces launching attacks using heavy weapons and drones. BNRA spokespersons and Bo Nagar confirmed that around 10 BNRA members were killed during the clashes.
Some BNRA gates and camps were seized by PDF forces, and BNRA troops were forced to withdraw. Meanwhile, junta forces reportedly carried out at least two gyrocopter airstrikes between Pupar and Zee Taw villages, further complicating the situation.
Bo Nagar acknowledged the attack on social media, questioning why the NUG chose to resolve this particular issue militarily while allegedly ignoring larger cases within its own ranks.
He also accused the NUG of arresting family members of fallen BNRA members and affiliates of other units, urging MOD regional commanders to prevent such actions.
A local resident in Pale said that since Bo Nagar does not operate under the MOD and has distorted the revolution, decisive action should be taken swiftly. However, he expressed sympathy for the lower-ranking BNRA fighters.
Currently, local residents are fleeing to safer areas due to the clashes and fear of junta airstrikes.
⸻ - Salween Bridge in Hpasawng Blown Up Amid Intense Fighting
m.CDM, February 17
The Salween Bridge (Hpasawng), located in Hpasawng Township where fighting remains intense, was destroyed by explosives early on February 17, according to local sources.
The bridge, over 1,000 feet long, lies on the Loikaw–Demoso–Bawlakhe–Hpasawng–Mese road in Karenni State and was damaged on the Hpasawng side.
Although Karenni revolutionary forces had closed the bridge to traffic since February 12, junta forces reportedly attacked it twice with kamikaze drones on February 15 and fired at people crossing the bridge with point-five machine guns.
Observers suggest the bridge may have been destroyed either by junta forces to block reinforcements from Mese, or by revolutionary forces to prevent junta columns from entering eastern Hpasawng.
The junta announced on February 15 that it had retaken Infantry Battalion 134 and regained control of town administrative offices.
Some junta columns have reportedly entered Hpasawng town, and clashes with revolutionary forces are ongoing.
⸻ - Junta Drone Bombing Damages Six Homes in Thandaunggyi (Daw Phakhar)
m.CDM, February 17
In Thandaunggyi (Daw Phakhar) Township, Toungoo District, under the Karen National Union (KNU), junta forces carried out a drone bombing that damaged six civilian homes, according to a KNU statement.
On February 13 at around 2 p.m., two bombs were dropped by drone on Kwin Chaung village. Six houses were hit and damaged, though no civilian casualties were reported.
⸻ - Draft Union Human Rights Commission Law Released
m.CDM, February 17
The NUG Ministry of Human Rights has released a draft of the Union Human Rights Commission Law and invited public input to facilitate its approval.
The ministry stated that the draft was prepared in consultation with civil society organizations and made public for review.
It noted that a Union Human Rights Commission law is necessary to establish a national-level human rights body in line with the UN General Assembly Resolution 48/134 (Paris Principles) adopted on December 20, 1993.
The draft includes nine chapters covering objectives, ethics, appointments, duties and powers, and financial management.
Public suggestions can be submitted to mohr@nugmyanmar.org by March 2. The full draft can be accessed via the provided Google Drive link.
⸻ - Depayin Pa Ka P Orders Closure of Checkpoints
m.CDM, February 17
The People’s Defense Organization (Pa Ka Pha) in Depayin Township, Shwebo District, Sagaing Region, has ordered the closure of all checkpoints operated by local Pa Ka Pha groups starting February 17.
The announcement warned that those who fail to comply and continue operating checkpoints will bear responsibility.
Local residents have welcomed the move and urged similar closures in other areas, including Yinmabin and Mingin.
Shwebo District military command had previously ordered all fundraising, lottery, road maintenance, and inspection checkpoints operated by PDFs and local defense groups to close by February 17, warning of action against non-compliance.
⸻ - Human Trafficking Gang Arrested in Muse
m.CDM, February 17
In Kyinsankyawt area of Muse Township, controlled by the Three Brotherhood Alliance, a gang accused of raping women and attempting to traffic them to China was arrested, according to local reports.
The case was uncovered on February 12 when a 19-year-old woman cried out for help while being raped in the 105-Mile area of Mong Yu.
Authorities arrested a 37-year-old man named Ko Naing at his rented home. Eight women were found waiting there after paying 3.5 million kyats each for illegal work arrangements in China.
Further investigation led to the arrest of two additional men and one woman. The suspects allegedly planned to sell the women, including the rape victim, to China for 3,500 yuan each.
The suspects have been charged by the Alliance’s administrative committee, and further investigations are ongoing.
⸻ - Two Soldiers Killed in Attack on Military Outpost in Gangaw
Revolutionary forces reported that two soldiers were killed in an attack on a military outpost in Shaukpin village, Gangaw Township, Magway Region.
The attack, carried out on February 16 by Unity Rocket Organization (URO) and Black Dragon Force (BDF), targeted a security outpost manned by troops from Infantry Battalion 50.
Two soldiers were reportedly killed, and others injured. Revolutionary forces reported no casualties on their side.
⸻ - Jade Mine Landslide in Hpakant May Have Killed Over 20
A landslide at an Ever jade mining site in Lone Khin village tract, Hpakant Township, Kachin State, may have killed at least 20 people.
The collapse occurred around 9:30 p.m. on February 16, burying scavengers searching for jade.
Due to the massive volume of earth, rescue efforts are extremely difficult. Local social organizations report that from 2021 to 2026, about 55 landslides have occurred in Hpakant, killing nearly 600 people.
⸻ - MNDAA Delegation Visits SSPP Headquarters
On February 13, a delegation from the Kokang (MNDAA) visited the SSPP/SSA headquarters in Shan State to exchange New Year greetings and discuss cooperation for regional stability.
Both sides emphasized strengthening coordination mechanisms and working together for regional peace and development.
⸻ - American Man Dies After Fight in Bangkok; Separate Murder in Samut Prakan
In Bangkok, a 55-year-old American man, Cole Stein Heath, died after being beaten by four Myanmar nationals while allegedly confronting his Myanmar ex-girlfriend with a knife.
The altercation escalated on February 16, and the American sustained multiple stab wounds and broken legs. One Myanmar man was also injured. The four men have been arrested and claim self-defense.
Separately, in Samut Prakan Province, a 27-year-old Myanmar worker, Ko Tun Khine, was burned with gasoline and beaten to death by a 22-year-old coworker, Win Nay Soe, following an argument. The suspect has been charged with intentional murder.
⸻
Today’s news was contributed by Ko Thit and Lu Lay.
