Hello. From now on, we will be presenting m.CDM’s domestic news updates.
Today’s main headlines include:
- The Timor-Leste government and the NUG strongly condemn the junta’s expulsion of the Timorese chargé d’affaires.
- In Kyaukphyu, artillery shelling by junta forces killed three people, including a five-year-old child; over 50 homes were burned down in Taungtha.
- Battalion No. 19 of Pakokku District provides rice assistance for the first time to displaced comrades’ families and war-displaced households.
- Clean Yangon and the Karenni Nurses Association (KNA) are recruiting healthcare workers to support healthcare services in Karenni State.
Other related developments are also included.
⸻ - Three Killed, Including a Child, in Kyaukphyu Artillery Attack; Over 50 Homes Burned in Taungtha
m.CDM – February 16
In Kyaukphyu Township, Rakhine State, junta forces reportedly fired heavy artillery at civilian villages, killing three people, including a child.
On February 14 at around 5:30 p.m., a junta navy vessel stationed offshore near Kyauk Kalar village allegedly fired at least five artillery shells toward Kyauk Pya village.
An 80-year-old woman, Daw Saw Phyu Ma, was killed instantly when one of the shells exploded.
On February 15 at around 4:30 p.m., a junta base near Minbya reportedly fired howitzers at Wa Myaung village. A navy vessel offshore also attacked Wa Myaung and Ngar Oat villages using artillery and suicide drones.
As a result, Ma Khin Htet Htet Soe (5 years old) and Daw Khin San Wai (43 years old) from Wa Myaung village were killed. At least 15 civilians were injured, and about seven houses were damaged.
In Taungtha Township, Mandalay Region, junta troops reportedly burned down more than 50 civilian homes—including a school and a monastery—in Pae Khin Kyaw village on February 13.
The troops allegedly seized villagers’ crops using 12-wheel trucks and burned the remaining crops they could not transport. Five civilians working in their fields were reportedly arrested.
The body of a junta soldier, believed to have been killed in clashes with resistance forces along the military column’s route, was also reportedly discovered buried nearby.
Currently, thousands of residents from Pae Khin Kyaw village and approximately ten surrounding villages are said to be fleeing to safer areas due to the junta’s military operations.
⸻ - Two Civilians Injured in Airstrike on Zanzawl Village, Tedim Township
m.CDM – February 16
Despite no reported clashes, the military allegedly carried out two jet fighter airstrikes on Zanzawl village in Tedim Township, Chin State, injuring two civilians and damaging homes and a vehicle, according to a February 16 statement by Zoland PDF.
A jet fighter from Tada-U Air Base reportedly bombed the village twice at around 8:00 p.m. on February 15.
Two villagers injured in the attack are receiving medical treatment and are said to be in stable condition.
Residents of Zanzawl and nearby villages reportedly experienced fear and sleeplessness due to the airstrikes.
Zanzawl village is part of the Mualbem village tract in Tedim Township and borders Falam Township. The village had previously experienced airstrikes, including one on August 25, 2025, in which a child was injured.
Zoland PDF urged collective efforts toward ending military attacks on civilians and restoring peace.
⸻ - Guard Post in Gangaw Attacked; PNO Captain Killed by Sniper; Fighting Continues in Hpasawng
In Gangaw Township, Magway Region, resistance forces reportedly launched rocket attacks on a junta guard post in Shaung Pin village on February 16, killing two soldiers.
The attack was carried out by Unity Rocket Organization (URO) and Black Dragon Force (BDF).
In southern Shan State, a PNO militia captain named Khun Maung Ko (aka Khun La Yaung) was reportedly killed by a sniper during fighting in Ban Mat village. He was said to be involved in pro-military activities and recruitment efforts.
Meanwhile, despite junta claims of retaking Hpasawng town in Karenni State, resistance forces report that intense fighting continues.
Junta troops reportedly entered Hpasawng on February 15 after nearly three months of offensives from Bawlakhe Township.
Joint resistance forces—including KNDF, KNPP, KA, KNA, and PDF—are said to be actively defending the town. If the junta gains full control of Hpasawng, Mae Set Township could face increased military threat.
⸻ - Yangon Urban Forces Attack Mingaladon Police Station Gate
On February 15 at around 6:45 p.m., Yangon Army and allied urban resistance groups reportedly detonated two high-powered explosives at a security gate of Mingaladon Township Police Station, where officers were allegedly drinking alcohol.
Casualty numbers remain unconfirmed.
The groups stated they will continue targeting military-linked objectives and any government emerging from what they describe as an unlawful election.
⸻ - Timor-Leste and NUG Condemn Expulsion of Timorese Diplomat
The Timor-Leste government and Myanmar’s National Unity Government (NUG) strongly condemned the junta’s order expelling Timor-Leste’s chargé d’affaires from Myanmar within seven days.
The junta reportedly cited Timor-Leste’s acceptance of a legal case filed by the Chin Human Rights Organization (CHRO) against military leaders.
Timor-Leste reiterated its alignment with ASEAN and UN positions in support of the Myanmar people.
Minister Agio Pereira stated that only dialogue respecting the will of the people can lead to sustainable peace.
The NUG condemned the expulsion as diplomatic intimidation and a violation of the Vienna Convention.
CHRO spokesperson Salai Mang Hre Lian criticized the junta’s response as an implicit admission of responsibility for alleged war crimes.
⸻ - Nine Conscripts Defect to KNDO; One Soldier Arrested in Ye
Nine soldiers who were reportedly forcibly conscripted defected to KNLA Brigade 3 and KNDO Battalion 3 on February 12.
The KNU stated they are being properly cared for.
Separately, in Ye Township, Mon State, a 26-year-old soldier from Light Infantry Battalion 591 who had fled was reportedly arrested on February 16. Authorities have not yet decided how to proceed.
⸻ - Clean Yangon and KNA Recruit Healthcare Workers for Karenni State
To assist displaced civilians facing healthcare shortages in Karenni State, Clean Yangon Free Clinic and the Karenni Nurses Association (KNA) are recruiting medical staff.
Clean Yangon is seeking one general practitioner and two nurses, offering accommodation, meals, and stipends.
KNA is recruiting seven nurses, five midwives, and four public health supervisors. Selected staff will receive a monthly stipend of USD 100 and professional development opportunities. Applications close February 28.
⸻ - Pakokku District Battalion 19 Provides Rice Assistance
Pakokku District Battalion 19 announced that it has, for the first time, provided one sack of rice per household to families of comrades and long-term displaced families in resistance areas.
Due to security concerns, no photos were released.
⸻ - MSRF Holds Mass Wedding Ceremony for Three Couples
The Mon State Revolutionary Force (MSRF) held a collective wedding ceremony for three couples on February 14 (Valentine’s Day).
The couples, who had fought together on frontlines, pledged their vows in accordance with revolutionary traditions and Mon cultural customs.
Officials from the Mon State Federal Council and MSRF leadership attended the ceremony.
⸻
Today’s news was contributed by Ko Thit and Lu Lay.
