Category: Community

Articles on Burmese community with the following sub sections – Letters, Memory, Portrait, Talks, Experience, Travelogue, Others, Burmese Overseas

Under the Moonlit NIght by JuniorWin

(Under the moon lit night, who love to light the world with me?)    In this month, 28th of November is the full moon day of Tanhsaungmone in the Burmese calendar. It was also named festival of lights. Lighting candles or colored…

‘Festival of Light’ (Junior Win)

(Photo –  A light festival on the eve, I illuminated with candles at the front of my grandparents house. I missed them so much. I also missed many happy memories which now became history since many years went by.) Thadingyut falls…

The Unforgettables by Junior Win

The nineteenth of July 1947 was a day we shall not easily forget. Our grandparents always said it was the day of tears and mourns. ‘Everywhere in the city, on buses, on trains and in the market places…

SFBC Bookdrive at Burmese Community Thingyan

The Thingyan Pwe, a Burmese water festival, was held on the 27th of May, by the Bay Area Burmese community.  At this event, the SFBC Bookdrive had a booth with various displays explaining what this bookdrive is about and detailing its importance in both the Burmese community here, in America, and in Burma. 

Thingyan Festival by Junior Win

Thingyan Festival

We have great fun during festivals. People go to the monasteries, pagodas and some interesting places during festivals. Many festivals are celebrated all over Burma.

(Picture Illustrated by Artist U Ba Kyi)

A Letter to my Grandmother by Junior Win

A Letter to my Grandmother   ‘One of the highlights of the season in Rangoon is the Shwedagon Pagoda festival celebrated on the grounds around the hill where stands the great pagoda.’ heard from you, grandma, long ago. Today 2600th anniversary of…

Walking through the Wonderland by Junior Win

There was MoeKaung Pagoda Festival held from 9t December of 2011 to 17th December of 2011 in Rangoon. People became crowded after 6:00PM, so I chose early time to see the festival. It was held once per year, so it was impossible to miss it!

The Movement of buildOn by Pwintphyu Nandar

It has been twenty years of building a movement for buildOn. Twenty years of weekends spent doing community service. Twenty years of summers spent in third-world countries helping build schools. That is what twenty years have been like for…

Tanhsungmone and the Medicine Night by Junior Win

Tanhsaungmone and The Medicine Night

Come Tanhsaungmone(Tahsaungtaing), the 8th month of the Burmese calendar, another lights festival even more elaborate with the usual trimming of music, dances, and shows. Tanhsaungmone festival is the lights festival in the month of tanhsaungmone(November). The month is the time for offering special robes and other gifts to the monks.